5.3 Internal perspective
5.3.1 Internal response
It is essential that the academic unit and the relevant Dean(s) or their designate(s)/Divisional Head make clearly separate responses to the External Review Report(s) and recommendations. The exception to this requirement for separate responses is in the case of single-department Faculty (or equivalent), where the Dean (or equivalent) is essentially the Divisional Head.
5.3.2 Final Assessment Report and Implementation Plan
- The IQAP will describe how a Final Assessment Report (see Guidance) will be drafted. The Final Assessment Report provides the institutional synthesis of the external evaluation of the program and strategies for continuous improvement, and:
- Identifies significant strengths of the program;
- Identifies opportunities for further program improvement and enhancement with a view towards continuous improvement;
- Lists all recommendations of the external reviewers and the associated separate internal responses and assessments from the unit and from the Dean(s);
- Explains why any external reviewers’ recommendations not selected for further action in the Implementation Plan have not been prioritized;
- Includes any additional recommendations that the unit, the Dean(s) and/or the university may have identified as requiring action as a result of the program’s review;
- May include a confidential section (for example, where personnel issues need to be addressed); and
- Identifies who will be responsible for approving the recommendations set out in the Final Assessment Report.
- The Final Assessment Report must include an Executive Summary, excluding any confidential information, which is to be published on the institution’s website alongside the associated Implementation Plan.
- The Final Assessment Report will also include an Implementation Plan that: Sets out and prioritizes those recommendations that are selected for implementation;
- Identifies the group or individual responsible for providing resources needed to address recommendations from the external reviewers or action items identified by the university;
- Identifies who will be responsible for acting on those recommendations; and
- Provides specific timelines for acting on and monitoring the implementation of those recommendations.